Sunday 16 December 2018

5 Centimeter Per Second

Hey, it's been a month 11 days since I've written the last post, which actually it is not really a post. There are so many things that I have to do, so many things that cross my mind. But, unfortunately, I could not express them in my blog. Please forgive me for my lack of motivation.
Now, I'm trying to re-write and finished what I have left before.
Please enjoy my movie's review.

***


Yep, as you have seen from the title, I would like to give some review about the movie called

5 Centimetres per Second.

Before I tell you about the review, you might want to listen to the music... Check it out.


Well, the music is One More Time One More Chance, which is the soundtrack for this movie.



Now, let's begin.

5 Centimetres per second is a Japanese animated film directed by Makoto Shinkai. The film was released in 2007. For further information regarding the movie, voice over, etc, you could google the movie.

The movie is divided into three parts of stories. But, the whole parts of stories will revolve around the male main characters named Takaki Tohno. They are three main characters, Takaki Tohno, Akari Shinohara, and Kanae Sumida. Takaki and Akari were best friends since Elementary School.

First Part: The Chosen Cherry Blossom



"The speed at which cherry blossoms fall. It's five centimetres per second"

The first part is when Takaki Tohno and Akari Shinohara were in Elementary School. They went back together from school. They promised each other to watch the cherry blossom fall again next year.
Unfortunately, Akari has to move to prefecture nearby due to her parent's job to Tochigi. But they keep in touch by sending letters to each other telling about the weather condition and else.
Meanwhile, at the end of that year, Takaki also has to move to another prefecture due to his parent's job to Kagoshima. Then, Takaki decides to go to Iwafune station, which is the closest one from Akari, to meet Akari on March 4th.
On March 4th, Takaki already prepares some notes about the bullet train, where he should get on and off the train. He also prepares a letter to Akari.
Sadly, when Takaki gets on the train, the rain turns to snow in the afternoon. On the train, Takaki recalls the moment he had with Akari. They have a lot of in common. Both of their parents are likely to move a lot due to their jobs. Both of them like to spend their time in the library reading some books. Theis classmates even teased them as a couple back then.
Takaki also recalls the time when Akari told him that she had to move to Tochigi prefecture and her parents did not allow her to stay at her aunt house since she was still a child.
Unluckily, since there is snow outside, the train will be experiencing 8 minutes delay in arrival. Takaki becomes worried because he did not predict this situation before. The train gets delayed and delayed due to heavy snow. The time they had planned slowly passed before they could meet each other.

"I spent my time writing a letter to give her. It was filled with all the things I had to tell her. All the things I wanted her to hear. There were so many"
- Takaki Tohno-

But, Takaki decides to continue his journey to Iwafune station no matter what happened. Yet, Takaki loses the letter during the journey and a severe snowstorm continuously delays his train for several hours.
Finally, Takaki arrives at Iwafune station at 11.15 p.m. In the beginning, he does not expect that Akari would be waiting for him at Iwafune station and is surprised seeing Akari there.
In the station, they are chatting while eating some dinner box that made by Akari. Later then, they walk out from the station and see the Cherry tree that Akari told to Takaki in the letter and they have their first kiss in front of the tree.

"I clearly knew, that from that point on we wouldn't be together forever"

The next morning, they have to part from each other. Before they parted, they promise each other to keep in touch through message and calls.

---

Second Part: Cosmonaut



The second part is telling about Kanae Sumida who has been in love at first sight with Takaki Tohno a lot since the first time Takaki entered the school. If there is a chance, Kanae would wait for Takaki to go back from school together. In the meantime, She notices that Takaki sometimes would be writing a text message and deeply she hopes that Takaki would someday write her some text message.
Many people think that Takaki and Kanae are a couple, but Takaki seems ignorant to Kanae's feeling and that is the fact that they are indeed not a couple (Since the one that Takaki loves is Akari).
One day, Kanae sees Takaki motorcycle and decides to approach him, they begin to talk about their future whether they want to take some college examination. Later on, when they go back together, they see that there will be rocket launch in Minamitane Launch Facility. The plane will be launch this year.
As Takaki read the magazine regarding the rocket, he has many things to think about especially about Akari.

"How far can we go? I wonder when I got in the habit of writing messages to nobody?"

It seems like Takaki text message are not being sent to anyone, in fact, he deletes them after he finishes writing them
On the other hand, Kanae makes a pact that if she could ride the waves again, she would like to confess her feeling to Takaki. Unfortunately, Kanae could not confess her feeling and begins to cry while they are walking back home.

As we humans desperately and recklessly stretched our arms to the top of the sky...
And launched something of that mass and size into the air...
Gazing off into the distance towards something far beyond our wildest dreams...
I felt like I somewhat came to understand why Tohno-kun was different from the other boys.
And at the same time...
I clearly realized that Tohno-kun wasn't really looking at me.
Which is why on that day I couldn't say a word to Tohno-kun.
Tohno-kun is really kind but...
He's so truly kind but... But Tohno-kun was always looking far beyond me.
Far beyond me towards something in the distance.
I'm sure I wouldn't be able to give Tohno-kun what he truly desires.
But still... despite that...
Tomorrow the day after and even beyond that...
I know I'll still be helplessly in love with him.

---

Third Part: 5 Centimetres per Second


The third part is telling the situation when they are already mature and already have worked. The first scene is Takaki is looking at his computer at his office. At this part, Takaki is still deeply in love with Akari. Meanwhile, Akari is preparing to get married to another man.
When Akari gets on the train and passes the tree that she and Takaki used to walk, she remembered her last dream when she and Takaki were still young, the last time they met.
In Tokyo, Takaki finds himself depression and decides to quit his job and also breaks up with his current girlfriend.

"Even now, I still love you..."

The third part is the shortest one and filled with dual narration between Takaki thoughts and Akari thoughts. Both of them recalling their dreams when they were still young, the last time they met each other and also remembered their wishes someday they could be able to watch the cherry blossoms fall once again.

Yesterday, I had a dream...
A dream I have had since long ago. In that dream, we had yet to turn 13.
We were in a vast countryside, completely covered with snow.
The lights of the houses extended far into the distance, a dazzling sight.
We walked on the thick carpet of fresh snow but did not leave any footprints.
And like that... 'Someday we will be able to watch the cherry blossoms together again'. Both of us, without any doubt... That's what we thought.

Then, it continues with a song called One More Time One More Chance (I have mentioned above). I would not become a spoiler for this part. You might want to see your self though.

Here is the lyrics for One More Time One More Chance.

I'm always searching for you always searching for your figure.
On the opposite platform or through a window in the back alley.
Even though I know you can't be there.
If my wish were to come true I would be at your side.
There would be nothing I couldn't do.
I would risk everything to embrace you.
If only to avoid loneliness anyone will do.
On this night when it seems stars will fall from the sky, I cannot lie to myself.
One more time doesn't fade away seasons. 
One more time I want that time when we fooled around together.
I'm always searching for you always searching for your figure.
At the intersection in my dreams.
Even though I know you can't be there.
If miracles do happen I want to show you right now the new dawn who I'll be from now on and the words "I love you" that I never said.
The memories of summer revolve around me and your throbbing heartbeat that suddenly stopped.
I'm always searching for you always searching for your figure.
In the city at dawn in Sakuragi-Cho. 
Even though I know you can't be there.
If my wish were to come true I would be at your side.
There would be nothing I couldn't do.
I would risk everything to embrace you.
I'm always searching for you always searching for even a fragment of you.
At the shop, I'm going to in the corner of a newspaper.
Even though I know you can't be there.
If miracles do happen I want to show you right now the new dawn who I'll be from now on and the words "I love you" that I never said.
I always end up looking somewhere for your smile.
At the railroad crossing waiting for the express to pass.
Even though I know you can't be there.
If I could live life over again I would be at your side every time.
Because I would want nothing more precious than you.

***

Well, that is the review from the movie called 5 Centimetres per Second.

You might get confused while you are watching this movie since there are three parts of the movie. But, if watch carefully between parts of the movies, they get connected with each other. The movie is from Takaki's point of view. Therefore it revolves around Takaki. As you might notice the there is no Akari's point of view in this movie.

I really like the movie, the animation is so great, I could even say the animation is marvellous. The movie is telling you about two people that secretly fond of each other but they were too afraid to wreck their friendship and decided to move on. But, unfortunately, Takaki was deeply in love with Akari and it was so hard for him to move on. Even at the end of the movie, Takaki still looked for Akari figure in everywhere, especially in stations.
Actually, that is annoying parts, why couldn't both of you just tell your feelings???!! and there are many times Takaki was texting some message but deleted. I know that there is so many "if only" in their minds (or in Directors and scriptwriter's mind?).

Nonetheless, the movie is fabulous, especially the graphics. Sometimes all you need is a courage to tell the person who is important to you that indeed he/she is really important to you. We might not know what will happen in the future, but we could make the best things to do in the present time. Therefore, I just hope that I don't have to searching your glimpse, do I?

"Maybe we tried to leave as much memories of ourselves with each other because we knew one day we wouldn't be together any more."
- Makato Shinkai"



Ps:
I really like the song (One More Time One More Chance), I fell like the whole scene starting from 00:55:00 is like the summary from this movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment