Saturday 19 September 2020

Disney Mulan Review, Good or Nah?

You might hear about the Mulan (2020) movie that was released in this year. Based on the IMDB site, Mulan 2020 was released on 4th September 2020. Yep, a few weeks ago. An interesting fact that Disney would have streaming on that day. So, for everyone that has Disney+ account could watch the movie (Yeah, will get into that later on).

Image cropping from Disney hotstar

As Mulan lovers since elementary kids, of course, I was so excited to hear that news. I could watch the Mulan (2020), which they told it would be Mulan live-action from Disney Mulan Animation (1998). I even subscribed the Disney+ to watch Mulan on that day. Unfortunately, since I lived in Indonesia, it won't be in my region yet. So, I couldn't watch Mulan (2020). I got a little bit disappointed because I thought I could watch that. No matter the flaw that people said previously about Mulan, I really wanted to watch that movie. 

In short, I finally watched Mulan (2020) from another website. Thanks to my friend. You are so great!!! Thanks a lot, dear. Therefore, I would like to write a review of that movie. Please do not continue reading this post if you don't want any spoiler about the movie.

Since I am a really big fan of Mulan (1998, animated version), I really love this movie so much. I remember that when I was a kid, I used to play Mulan DVD every weekend. YES! EVERY WEEKEND. Up until now, I even remember some dialogue and of course the song. They are in my Spotify list, especially for Reflection and I'll Make a Man Out of You.

Alert! at the end this post, I will also compare the Mulan (2020) with Mulan (1998), because they used to say Mulan (2020) is a live action Disney for Mulan (1998). You could also read in Wikipedia for the statement and in Disney Wiki Fandom.

So, let's the story begin.

Image from IMDB


Mulan (2020) starts from the scene where Mulan as a kid playing with something (sorry, I forget about it because I watch it a few weeks ago, pardon my short term memory). It was told that Mulan as a kid have some "Chi", which means she is different than any other kids. In Mulan (2020), there will be Mulan's Grandmother, instead, we could see Mulan's younger sister. Yes, she has a younger sister. She is also being told that to get her family in honor, all she needs is to marry a decent guy and be a good wife.

At the same time (actually, I forget which one is the first, once again, pardon me). The scene is in the middle of the desert and there is a guy who walks with his camel and there is a witch (Yes, the witch is Gong Li). Then, suddenly the witch passes through the guy's body. Turns out the guy is Bori Khan that will be the Chinese enemy in Mulan (2020).

After that, the same plot as the animated, Mulan joins her matchmaker. In Mulan (1998), she joins the matchmaker with some other girls, but in Mulan (2020), her matchmaker already finds her some guy to marry. Moreover, in Mulan (2020), Mulan joins the event with her mother and also her sister. The plot is really the same as the animated, the event was ruined because of her sister. Her sister is really afraid of spiders and, yep, there is a spider in her matchmaker table. Actually, Mulan just wants to save her sister because she knows that her sister is really afraid of the spider. But everything is ruined, and her matchmaker yells at her that she won't ever bring her family honor.

At the same time, China was being attacked, and yep, the emperor orders general mobilization and requires one man from each family to join the Chinese army.

So here we go, Mulan hears that her father will join the army. She is really against the idea because she knows that her father is not young anymore and not capable due to his health. But her father insists to go because it is his duty to defend the China and asks Mulan to acknowledge his duty as a daughter. Then she steals his farther old armor and disguise herself as a man. At the next morning, her father realizes that Mulan is gone with his old army, but he couldn't do anything, because if he reveals Mulan's disguise, she will get killed by Chinese Army.

In short, it was a painful training, she needs to take some training along with others men. At first, she couldn't keep up with the hard training, but when she accidentally release her "Chi", she can keep up the good performance. However, she needs to hide her "Chi" because she always remember when she was a kid, she was being told to hide her "Chi".

Then, they come to the war zone, (I kind of skip this part, sorry I don't really pay attention in watching this movie). She finally begins to have a battle with the witch. The witch ask for her name, but she lies to the witch and keep telling her that she is a man. Of course, the witch knows well about Mulan, that she is a woman. (I think the witch is so kind to her, as the witch gives some advice to Mulan to not lie to her self) The witch asks Mulan to be true with her self and of course, the witch push away Mulan and hit her to the rock.

After that, Mulan sees phoenix and remember who she is and begins to accept herself and also her "Chi". Then she is "kind of alive again" then starts as a women warrior and helps her friends.

By helping her friend in her true self, she reveals her disguise. Her captain feels betray and as punishment, he needs to expel her from the army. 

Anyhow, the same as Mulan (1998), the enemy, Bori Khan, and with his several army survive from the avalanche. Mulan is trying to warn the Chinese Army, but they ignore Mulan because she is a girl and deceive the army before.

With the help of her friend in her training, she could defeat the Bori Khan. She also gets the help from the witch as the witch feels being betrayed by Bori Khan. When Bori Khan suddenly attacks Mulan, the witch sacrifice herself to defend Mulan.

Finally, China is saved and also the emperor. The emperor praises Mulan as she saves China from the enemy. The emperor also asks Mulan to join the forces but Mulan has to refuse the offer since she is already gone from home too long.

In the end, she does come back home and her family welcomes her joyfully. Then, with blessing from her father, she joins the forces.

***

So, that's the story of Mulan (2020). I apologize to not give so many details about the Mulan. Actually, I've just watched Mulan last week. But I don't really watch with my full attention. There are so many things different from Mulan (1998) that I love the most. As a matter of fact, there is also Mulan in 2009, called Mulan: Rise of Warrior. If the Disney refers to Mulan (2009), I would gladly accept the movie. However, since the beginning of the movie, it is called Mulan live-action from Disney Mulan, which is the animation version in 1998.

Despite many dramas in the process, such as the main actor itself, Liu Yifei, some people think that she is not suitable to Mulan. Some of the people said that Awkwafina is more Mulan than Liu Yifiei. Also, there are many people that disagree with the process of the filming. But, OH MY GOD! If you really ask my opinion, I will say a BIG NO to this movie Mulan (2020). For me, the movie is so horrible. I don't care if some people said Mulan (2020) is more realistic and strict to the history. Hell yeah, if you want to make a movie like that, please don't say it is Mulan live action from the animated one.

Nonetheless, the story is really different from the Mulan animated. Who is the one that screwed the Mulan matchmaking event??????? Her sister!!! And Mulan got the blamed?????? Hell yeah, where is her grandmother??? Who the hell is her sister?????? There is no sister in an animated one. Where is the luck cricket??? Where is Mushu??? And the important thing, WHERE IS SHANG????

You know, if some people asking me my impression of Disney Movie, I will think of musical filming. Yep, it really comes first in my mind. It is not Disney if there is no song. Where are the songs that always come in the middle of the scene????

Okay, I know I exaggerate, but how come there is no dragon?? I like Mushu character. If you told me that dragon isn't real, how about Phoenix? So, now, the phoenix is real while the dragon is not? I think Chinese people also believe in dragons, especially there is a dragon in the Chinese zodiac sign.

Besides, I don't understand in Mulan (2020) when Mulan disguises her self as a man, she looks awful, totally in the dirt, her hair being tied up. But, when she believes in her self and revealed her self as a woman, it looks like a makeover program. Suddenly, she becomes beautiful, no dirt in her face, her face is glowing, and her hair looks amazing without being messy even if she is doing some acrobatic in air or so on. I know she is the main character, but please?? (:facepalm:)

Once again, that's my opinion. If you asked me about the rating, I think it's 3 out of 10. I give the score 3 because, the song, Reflection, is still being sung by the original singer, Christina Aguilera and Coco Lee. That's all.

Well, you should watch the movie. Whether you like it or not, that's totally up to you. This post is my opinion since I truly love the animated version. So, let me know your opinion. What do you think about Mulan 2020??

No comments:

Post a Comment